While the field of massage therapy is a unique and rewarding one, it is important that you are also taking care of yourself. Living a healthy lifestyle will keep you happy and allow you to work as a massage therapist far into the future. Here are some healthy lifestyle tips for massage therapists.

Proper Hydration:

It is recommended that we drink half of our body weight in ounces of water every day. As a massage therapist, you may need even more due to the demands of the job. You may notice that you get thirsty or dehydrated due to sweating or you go long periods without drinking water while working with a client. Be sure to have a full water bottle and take water breaks as needed, as well as be aware of your adequate hydration each day.

80/20 Nutrition:

In terms of nutrition, there is a saying that goes “80/20” which means that 80% of the time you are eating healthy and nutrient dense foods. The other 20% of the time you can allow yourself to have a “treat” or your favorite snack. The focus on good healthy nutrition is important for all of us, and helps us to stay energized and feeling good. This is also helpful to decrease the risk of conditions such as diabetes and heart disease.

Relaxation and “De-stressing:”

Working with people can be very rewarding, although it can also be stressful if you don’t have a proper routine in place for your own relaxation. Be sure that you are able to de-stress and take good care of yourself. Some examples are: meditation, yoga, mindfulness, a hot bath and a relaxing walk.

Get a Good Night’s Sleep:

Sleep is very important for our body and mind. It is imperative that we get a quality amount of sleep each night, and the recommendation is 7-9 hours. A good sleep routine can be very helpful in order to attain this. Some examples of “sleep hygiene” are: turning off the TV or phone a couple hours before bed time, dimming the lights, and set a sleep and wake time that is consistent.